top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureDr. Jill King

This Carb Will Help You Lose Weight


Low carb and keto are popular ways of eating but a diet is not a one-size-fits-all. It's not even a one-size-fits-most. All of our bodies respond differently to foods. We recommend that you listen to your body and do what is healthiest for your body and lifestyle.


Carbs get a bad wrap and that can be from a good cause. High flour and high sugar are what most people think about when it comes to carbs and these cars have a bad reputation for a good reason. But, not all carbs are bad. Fiber is a unique form of carbohydrate that can help you to lose weight. 40 grams of fiber each day can help you lose weight, lower your blood pressure, and improve your body’s response to insulin just as effectively as a more complicated diet.


High-fiber foods are naturally bulky, so they can make you feel full. Fiber-rich foods are less calorie-dense meaning you can eat more food with less caloric intake. High-fiber foods typically require more chewing which helps by giving you extra chewing time so your brain signals that your body has eaten enough.


Good sources of fiber

  • Beans and legumes. Think black beans, kidney beans, pintos, chickpeas (garbanzos), white beans, and lentils.

  • Fruits and vegetables, especially those with edible skin (for example, apples, corn, and beans) and those with edible seeds (for example, berries).

  • Whole grains (For some this is not a good source. Pay attention to your body)

  • Nuts — try different kinds. Peanuts, walnuts, and almonds are a good source of fiber and healthy fat, but watch portion sizes because they also contain a lot of calories in a small amount.

In general, an excellent source of fiber contains five grams or more per serving, while a good source of fiber contains 2.5–4.9 grams per serving. Does anyone carry a food scale? Probably not, right? What this means is that each time you eat a meal, 75% of it should come from fiber foods and the other 25% come from anything you want it to be. If that is too basic for you and you want to track numbers, MyFitnessPal is a free tool you can use. Go into the settings and put the daily fiber goal to 40 grams.


If you at all feel overwhelmed, start with adding fiber food to the meals that you already eat. An example is to add an apple to your breakfast, lunch, or dinner.


Side Note: It could be beneficial to increase your fiber intake gradually, to prevent stomach irritation, and that you increase your intake of water and other liquids, to prevent constipation.


Stay tuned for recipes next week.

34 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page